The first beta build of update 18 is now ready for action. You can sign up at http://tflig.ht/1jQw9Bb
The beta testing process will work like this:
- You’ll need a TestFlight account. Sign up using the recruitment link above. This will register your device and install the TestFlight web shortcut.
- Once I’ve approved and your added device ID to the app certificate, you’ll be able to install the beta directly from TestFlight.
- Installing “Samurai Beta” app will replace the “Samurai Wars” app, and vice versa. You can have one or the other installed at any single time, but you can switch between the beta and the real app by reinstalling from App Store / TestFlight.
- There beta will connect to the GameCenter Sandbox and you’ll need to register a sandbox account. Although you can use the same AppleID and GameCenter nickname, it’s important to note that sandbox accounts are separate from the real GameCenter accounts. It’s a bit confusing that the same AppleID can have two game center accounts, but when logging in it will tell you if you are in sandbox mode. You can logout in Settings > Game Center if you need to reset or switch accounts.
- You’ll get notified when new builds are available. The version and build number is displayed in the lower left corner of the screen. The build number is using the format “<year><month><day>.<build>”, e.g. “131129.1”.
What’s new in this version:
- It’s now possible to play with up to four players.
- Complete rewrite of the networking code to improve how the simulation model is synchronized between devices. This means smoother unit movement and more reliable combat results.
Some known issues:
- Turn-based mode is disabled (still some work to do there).
- Practice AI is disabled.
- Leaderboard reporting is currently disabled.
- The player status bar at the top of the screen only shows two players, even in 3 or 4 player matches.
- When a player disconnects, the game will freeze. Need to implement graceful handling of dropped connections and network failures.