A new update is on its way and should arrive in the App Store within a couple of days.
This release should address the network problems that has been causing a lot of weird issues, like enemy armies not arriving to the battle field, invincible enemies, and strange combat results. The problem was that when network latency and packet loss got above a certain threshold the game had trouble keeping units in sync, and got confused who was were so to say. If you’ve experienced such issues in update 18, please test again with the new update and report back here if you’re still seeing problems.
And a as a bonus, I’ve also added a new “Current Rating” leaderboard.
The update has been out for little more than a week. There’s the issue with games sometimes not starting (you only see your own units). I’m fixing that one now and will also investigate dropped connections.
Any other bugs and issues? Report here and I’ll take a look.
This should be the final beta before release. I think I’ve fixed all sync issues and crashes that have been reported so far. If you find any problems, please report here.
I’ve noticed that the GameCenter invite and auto-match functionality sometimes doesn’t work. This could very well be the Sandbox environment that’s unstable (I’ve seen reports about this from other developers). It seems that going to Settings and switching wireless networking off and on again seem to fix this.
A new build is up:
- Turn-based mode is now working (more or less, some known sync issues to be fixed).
- Real-time mode has been tweaked, should work OK with 3G or better (but currently lags on EDGE).
- Player status bar shows all players.
- Various minor fixes and tweaks.
Game invites should work (most of the time), although I have experienced that it sometimes is slow and unstable. I haven’t been able to track down whether this is a bug or if it’s just the Game Center Sandbox that’s unstable. Further work is needed on real-time networking, especially handling dropped connection and unstable / hight latency connections (EDGE).
Also, note the beta tester registration is a two step process:
- (1) you need to register an account with TestFlight
AND, if you haven’t done so already:
- (2) you need to register an iOS device with that account
Latest build is 131219.1. Should be feature complete, but still has some network issues (reported in comments below).
The first beta build of update 18 is now ready for action. You can sign up at http://tflig.ht/1jQw9Bb
The beta testing process will work like this:
- You’ll need a TestFlight account. Sign up using the recruitment link above. This will register your device and install the TestFlight web shortcut.
- Once I’ve approved and your added device ID to the app certificate, you’ll be able to install the beta directly from TestFlight.
- Installing “Samurai Beta” app will replace the “Samurai Wars” app, and vice versa. You can have one or the other installed at any single time, but you can switch between the beta and the real app by reinstalling from App Store / TestFlight.
- There beta will connect to the GameCenter Sandbox and you’ll need to register a sandbox account. Although you can use the same AppleID and GameCenter nickname, it’s important to note that sandbox accounts are separate from the real GameCenter accounts. It’s a bit confusing that the same AppleID can have two game center accounts, but when logging in it will tell you if you are in sandbox mode. You can logout in Settings > Game Center if you need to reset or switch accounts.
- You’ll get notified when new builds are available. The version and build number is displayed in the lower left corner of the screen. The build number is using the format “<year><month><day>.<build>”, e.g. “131129.1”.
What’s new in this version:
- It’s now possible to play with up to four players.
- Complete rewrite of the networking code to improve how the simulation model is synchronized between devices. This means smoother unit movement and more reliable combat results.
Some known issues:
- Turn-based mode is disabled (still some work to do there).
- Practice AI is disabled.
- Leaderboard reporting is currently disabled.
- The player status bar at the top of the screen only shows two players, even in 3 or 4 player matches.
- When a player disconnects, the game will freeze. Need to implement graceful handling of dropped connections and network failures.
Archers and matchlocks are back!
Note: It’s seems possible to play with version 15 against version 16. So if you encounter stealth archer units, make sure you update to version 16.
The version mismatch problem should now be fixed. Units should now be what they appear to be.
The new update has some minor fixes and five new maps, so there are now eight playable maps in total.
Update 14 is now live. It’s a maintainance release that fixes two crashes, one that occurred infrequently during gameplay when tracking movement paths, and another one when ending offline real-time games.
If you find any further crashes or bugs, please report here (or mail me at email@example.com).
The update version 13 has now been submitted to the app store approval queue, and it contains a few unit command gesture improvements. Movement arrows are visualized more clearly. And there’s now a unit facing indicator, a small triangle, that shows you which way a unit is facing. Just tap and drag it to rotate the unit to face another direction. For missile units within range of enemy units, the indicator changes to a timer that indicates that a unit is reloading/aiming. Once again, tap and drag this indicator if you want to target a specific enemy unit. It’s even possible to have the unit hold fire – just tap and drag from the indicator to the unit itself.